Chartered on May 5, 1940, the Tygart Valley Lions Club was originally sponsored by the Bridgeport Lions Club. Elkins had a Lions Club but was disbanded at the time. Later, around 1950, TVLC sponsored a new Elkins Lions Club. The first community activity undertaken by the new TVLC was to serve watermelon to participants at the local 4H Camp in the summer of 1940. This tradition continues to this day. Over the years, the TVLC has assisted those in need with their vision care. By teaming up with local optometrists, the Club is able to provide basic eye exams and eyeglasses. Lion Bill Berkel was the last surviving Charter Member of the Club. He often reminded us that “service is the price we pay for the air we breathe.”
The Tygart Valley Lions Club is under the jurisdiction of Lions Clubs International. Our slogan is Liberty, Intelligence, Our Nation’s Safety. Our motto is: We Serve. The Tygart Valley Lions Club has the distinction of being the largest Lions Club in West Virginia. Lions Clubs are committed to helping those in need with vision care. We are also committed to supporting Lions Clubs International, Lions Clubs State, and District Programs. We also support many programs and activities in our local communities. The Tygart Valley Lions Club serves a geographic area from Beverly, WV to the southern reaches of Randolph County, WV.